This Day in Bonaventure History
By Joe Pinter, News Editor, @JPinter93
October 22, 1951
The seminary at St. Bonaventure University burned down in 1930. Therefore, the university hired Cajetan Baumann, O.F.M. to design the new Christ the King seminary. After some delays, the university broke ground on the new building on Nov. 1, 1948.
During the years in between the fire and the new building, the seminarians were located on the fourth and fifth floors of Devereux Hall.
It was on this day that classes began in the new seminary.
However, the building did not have a long life as a seminary. In 1974, the seminary was moved to East Aurora, N. Y., and the vacant building became what we now know as Francis Hall.